With the election right around the corner here in the good old USA, many of our citizens are torn between who to vote for. Many people don't really agree with either of the candidates. Voters try various ways to decide who to vote for. Some flip a coin, some draw the name out of a hat, or some don't vote at all because they simply do not like who's running. Others do something else, they vote for who they feel is the lesser of two evils.
When a country decided its leaders by the lesser of 2 evils game, what it's saying is "no, I don't really like you, but I hate you less than the other guy". This is horrible, and it's a horrible way of choosing our leaders. Most people ask "Why is that horrible? We only have 2 choices". In reality, you have many, many choices to vote for. Here are some other candidates also running for president this year that deserve some attention.
If you are of a more middle of the fence person politically, I would recommend you look into Gary Johnson of the Libertarian Party. Johnson was the governor of New Mexico for two terms and left office with a fairly good approval rating.
If you lean conservative, I recommend looking into Virgil Goode of the Constitution Party. Virgil is a former representative of the Virginia in the House of Representatives and one of his major campaign promises is to set term limits on public officials.
If you lean progressive, I suggest you look into Rocky Anderson of the Justice Party. Rocky was mayor of Salt Lake City and has some pretty interesting ideas on education, health care, and financial reform.
I you lean liberal, I recommend you look into Jill Stein of the Green Party. Jill has been a professor of internal medicine for years.
If you are into socialism, perhaps Stewart Alexander is right for you. I'm not entirely sure what states he is on the ballot in, but you can always write him in. He has some very radical ideas on financial reform.
And finally, if your not sure who to vote for but don't like the big two, there's Roseanne Barr, yes, the infamous Roseanne Barr who is representing the Peace and Freedom party. I'm not sure of any of her policies, but it's freaking Roseann Barr
My point is, there are other candidates to look into besides Republicans and Democrats in most elections. You should educate yourself of who's running and make an informed choice. Voting for the lesser of two evils gets this country nowhere.
Now I know I will get responses that voting for a third party candidate is like throwing your vote away. I don't agree with this. I feel voting for a third party candidate says "I'm fed up with these guys and I want somebody else". The only way a third party will grow is if it has a base. If you vote for a third party, your not throwing your vote away, your helping these parties grow a base. Growing a base is exactly how you start a movement.
No comments:
Post a Comment